i just picked up a half dozen of these at Old Navy clearance for $29 each.
they are styled after vintage wool swiss army blankets, and are amazing!
WIKIPEDIA ON THE DUFFLE
A duffle coat, or duffel coat, is a coat made from duffle, a coarse, thick, woollen material. The name derives from Duffel, a town in the province of Antwerp in Belgium where the material originates. Duffle bags were originally made from the same material.
There are many varying styles to the duffle coat, although the most common British style would be composed of the following features:
- Made of genuine Duffel, lined with a woolly tartan pattern.
- A hood and buttonable neck strap
- Four front wooden or horn toggle-fastenings (known as “walrus teeth“) with four rope or leather loops to attach them to.
- Two large outside pockets with covering flaps.
- It should be three-quarter length.
The wooden toggle-fastenings were made to be easily fastened and unfastened while wearing gloves in cold weather at sea. Current designs have toggles made of buffalo horn, wood or plastic. The oversized hood offered enough room to wear over a Naval cap. After rain, a duffle coat has a characteristic smoky smell.